We have a network of community tree nurseries (CTNs) throughout Bath and the surrounding area. As of 2023, the number sits at 9 CTNs with 3 more in the pipeline giving us a total of 12 nurseries in a variety of settings involving a wide range of people. This means that people all over Bath and North East Somerset can be part of growing thousands of good quality local trees every year.
Volunteers usually meet up once a week on the weekends to help the baby trees grow and thrive. There are a range of tasks to do over the year which can include:
- preparing the beds for the saplings to arrive from our Hub.
- planting out the new saplings.
- weeding and general maintenance.
- watering the trees during the warmer months.
- lifting and ‘healing in’ the trees ready for planting out.
- developing the nursery for example constructing compost areas and installing rainwater harvesting systems.
So, with lighter tasks and larger projects there really is something for everyone. No experience required; we all just muck in!
The nurseries offer a great chance to connect with your community and surroundings allowing you to meet new people, get some fresh air and exercise whilst also making a real contribution towards helping our natural environment.
If you would like to ‘host a nursery’, please see here for more information.